Drop HTML widgets support

Topics: General Problem
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 8:06 AM

I'd like to remove Awesomium from Mosaic and it will drop support for HTML widget. This will reduce app size and make code more clean.

HTML widgets will never be so powerful as WPF widgets and nobody interested in development of HTML widgets.

So what do you think, guys?

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Windows is just making windows 8 better with HTML5 support anywhere and you think nobody is interested in developing HTML widgets.

fail...

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 7:09 PM

The Problem is that the Awsomium engine is 30 MB large - thats wasted space. I agree on IE 9 but again, noone (expect me) has developed a HTML Widget

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 7:12 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM

icecold722, Windows 8 will obviously provide fast and very optimized HTML5 engine with some framework or something (I think so), so HTML5 apps could have same possibilities as a native ones. Currently Awesomium doesn't even support HTML5. But even if it would (they promised this summer), HTML5 widgets will not be so fast and power as WPF widgets in Mosaic. For example Mosaic provides comfortable way to read/write settings, templates for making Options and Hubs in Metro style, interaction between widgets (like playback controlling on lockscreen), etc. I can't make all this things for HTML widgets.

Ludacris, the light version that Mosaic uses is about 9MB

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I think it's a good idea, especially if that will make Mosaic start faster.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Hey i want to thank y'all for developing this!

Eraile ,Ludacris ,AngelWZR and Stealth2009.

I think you should drop the html widget support, who would use that if you can use wpf!
Plus it's not very friendly in combination with the tiles, or can anybody proof me wrong?
Please drop it! and safe some space :)
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM

You're Welcome :)

BTW, another BIG disadvantage for HTML Widgets is the lack of localisation support so you wont be able to tranlsate HTML Widgets to your language (expect for editing the code)

Developer
Aug 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM

It's so much faster now you left the Awesomium engine...
Hadn't check the update logs and didnt understand why this was so slow at start ^^

Very powerful, etc etc, build 293 is so cool.

Also, np Kuro, say thanks to Stealth which seems to develop an enormous part of it. Hope i will be able to him, he does very good stuff & kinda hard one! :)